Music for your Spirit!

Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Me by Default

Isaiah 30:21 NLT

Your own ears will hear him. Right behind you a voice will say, “This is the way you should go,” whether to the right or to the left.

Isaiah 30:21 NIV

Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.”

Have you ever been walking along and suddenly realized someone was calling your name? You look back and you think..I thought I heard someone calling me. Or I thought I saw movement out of the corner of my eye. And then you realize that they had been trying to get your attention all along.

Or. Have you ever been so caught up in getting your own thoughts and needs across that you've failed to listen to someone else?

Or. Have you watched someone's mouth move but not been listening to what they were saying because you were too busy preparing your own dialogue in your head?

Or. Have you ever not given someone the time of day because you just don't want what they have to say to interrupt what you want to do?

How do I hear from God?

I make a conscious effort to not be the girl I've just described.  I realize that because I can so often and so easily default to being that girl; I have to decide each day NOT to be her. I have to resist the urge to be who the world has programmed me to be.

So. I listen for my name. I slow down. I tune in. I shut up.

And then..and only then..can I hear God speak to me.

Sometimes it's through my Bible time. Sometimes while I'm washing dishes. Sometimes while I'm driving the kids to practice. Sometimes when I get a text or an email. Or when I finally make time to visit a friend.

Sometimes. It's when I am doing all of that. Or none of that. Or nothing at all.

What I've come to realize is that God never stops speaking to me. Even when He is silent. God always speaks. I just fail to hear Him.

Dear God, please give me an ear to hear you, a heart to receive you, and a life to serve you. In Jesus' name, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please police yourself! Be mindful that this blog is available to my children..and possibly yours too..so please comment accordingly!

Blog Archive!