Music for your Spirit!

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

If only......

"If only you had paid attention to my commands, your peace would have been like a river, your well-being like the waves of the sea."  - Isaiah 48:18 (NIV)

If only.......is that the story of anybody else's life besides mine? If only I had paid attention...if only I had listened...IF ONLY...my peace would have flowed like a river...my well-being would be as sure as the waves of the sea...IF ONLY!

When God calls us...when He assigns us...He also GIVES us His word and His wisdom to work His plan...for our good and His glory.

So along the way...God will guide us...He will baby us when we need it...and correct us when we need that too. Sometimes...God will force us to dig deep...to burn off all the gunk...so that all that’s left is what's really in our hearts.

And we all know what scriptures tell us about the human heart…

· It is deceitful– "The heart is more deceitful than all else and is desperately sick. Who can understand it?" - Jeremiah 17:9 (NASB)

· It gets sick from rebellion– "Why do you continue to invite punishment? Must you rebel forever? Your head is injured, and your heart is sick." - Isaiah 1:5 (NLT)

· It faints from sin– "The crown has fallen from our head; Woe to us, for we have sinned! Because of this our heart is faint, Because of these things our eyes are dim." - Lamentations 5:16-17 (NASB)

So. When we get to the heart of the matter...one of two things happen. We soften and let God continue His work in us and through us...or we stiffen...and here's where that if only comes in.

When we stiffen...we invite hardness of the heart...and that's a sin that leads to hopelessness.

Our own disobedience to God’s ways...makes the going that much harder...and our unrepentant hearts can actually become hopeles...because we tend to set our expectations on and in people, stuff, and things instead of His righteousness.

Proverbs 13:12 (NIV) says: "Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life."

To get our heart's desires...we have to set our hopes on God’s promises, delight in His ways, and submit to His plan...NOT OURS.

So. Grab a seat. And let's do a self eval right quick...let's ask ourselves a few tough questions…

· Am I making my heart sick by stubbornly holding onto ungodly people, stuff, and things within my heart?

· Do I sense that God is using circumstances and situations to take me deeper to get those things out of me?

· Have I prayed, “Lord, open my eyes to my stiff or hardened heart!”

· Am I working with God’s plan of redemption and restoration for me...or fighting Him tooth and nail?

(Look...you never even have to admit to me that you even read this post...but God knows...and you know He knows...so you might as well keep it real.)

God’s plan will always involve establishing OUR HEARTS IN HIM before He moves any mountains for us...or before He rains down the big blessings...like a ministry...or a marriage...or a promotion...or a new house...or a fill in the blank with your heart's desire.

God wants our whole heart. Not a piece or a slice. Not on Sundays and Wednesdays only. Not just when it's rainbows and sunshine. Our whole hearts. All the time.

Scriptures tell us…

"Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, people of Israel?" - Ezekiel 18:31

"I will give them a heart to know Me, that I am The Lord. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to Me with all their heart." - Jeremiah 24:7

"I will give them singleness of heart and action, so that they will always fear Me and that all will then go well for them and for their children after them." - Jeremiah 32:39

"I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh."  - Ezekiel 36:26

And Jesus is our hope...Jesus is our key to the kingdom. And He is right there for the taking. GOD GAVE HIM TO US...SO WE COULD GIVE OURSELVES TO HIM.

So if you are…

· Looking to get (fill in the blank)...LOOK UP.

· Looking for that perfect (fill in the blank)...LOOK up.

· Looking for God to move mountains and do the impossible...LOOK UP, UP, UP....

And while you're looking up...pull yourself up...draw near to God...for when we come near to Him...He comes near to us.

"Sow righteousness for yourselves, reap the fruit of unfailing love, and break up your unplowed ground; for it is time to seek The Lord, until He comes and showers His righteousness on you." -Hosea 10:12 (NIV)

"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." -Matthew 6:33 (NASB)

So. You're wondering what to do...where to start...glad you asked...start on your knees...pray God’s Word back to Him…

"With all my heart I want Your blessings. Be merciful as You promised."  - Psalm 119:58 (NIV)

"Teach me Your way, Lord, that I may rely on Your faithfulness; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear Your name."  - Psalm 86:11 (NIV)

God is ready, willing, and able to meet you right where you are...all it takes is your open invitation...and your humble submission.

Don't get stuck holding that "if only" bag...go get your peace and well-being!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please police yourself! Be mindful that this blog is available to my children..and possibly yours too..so please comment accordingly!

Blog Archive!